Monday, September 28, 2015

Utilizing technology to add to the educational instruction to the student...

Project #1 Technology

I wanted to get my class back together to discuss the expectations of their research paper. I was unable to etch out class time from another faculty member so I decided to create a brief (less than 10 minute) video for the students to view on their own. The video was a success after some editing and splicing. Here is the link to the video I shared with my students.
https://youtu.be/tp7EVXWufqA

I did show it to some of my faculty before I posted it and they were impressed. Personally, I would like to do more editing and the more I make these videos using Camtasia the better I will get at editing and splicing. I enjoyed doing this video and using the technology for the classroom. I have previously worked only with the Mac videoing and although those videos are great-there is not a way to incorporate what I am doing on my desktop as I did in the video. This is important for teaching especially if the teaching involves educating the students how to use technology. Camtasia is great!

Apps:

The following apps are what I chose to utilize in a nursing education program. Some of these do have a cost associated with them and the rationale for these costs is the student has the option to buy an app or buy a book/online program. The student has to pay whichever they choice they make.

Mosby's Nursing Consult (free)
Mosby's nursing consult is a useful app for nursing students since the app is a quick brief consult useful at the bedside. The app includes drug monographs for generic or name brand drugs, drug calculators, patient education including conditions and treatment, medications, and ED discharge instructions. The other aspect is evidence based nursing monographs (EBN) for many different illnesses. The information is in the nursing process format and provides an easily applied assessment with interventions. There is a data analysis within the EBN section for each illness and the discharge planning is provided. For a free app that is helpful to students and is immediately applicable to the clinical setting and can be used in the classroom this is my top choice for students. I plan to do an activity during a lecture using this app for a future class.

NCLEX RN National Council Licensure ($13.99)
This app is useful to nursing students as they prepare to take the NCLEX. I would recommend this for senior students or last semester students in an ADN program. The app is set up based on the NCLEX content such as safe and effective care, environment management of care (17-23%), safety and infection control (9-15%), health promotion and maintenance (6-12%), psychological integrity (6-12%), physiological integrity, basic care and comfort (6-12%), pharmocological and parenteral therapies, reduction of risk potential (9-15%), and physiological adaptation (11-17%). I recommend this app as a practice tool for students but not to eliminate an actual NCLEX prep course of some sort.

Nursing IQ (free)
Nursing IQ is a game and it is free. This is a fun and useful app that I could see students using for content and quizzing. The game has levels and the user cannot progress through the level unless the level is passed. The game provides quizzes and each question is timed so the user cannot spend too much time on each question. The downside is if the user is not successful and tries to pass the level again-the questions are the same but the student must master them before advancing. The questions are not specific to any certain section of nursing such as pediatric or med/surg, the questions are general. I think this is a fun game and the student can learn from the game. Also, there must be some fun incorporated into nursing, right?! :-)

Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses ($38.99)
The Davis's Drug Guide for nurses app is one of my favorite apps. I utilize the Davis drug guide app and I have used it for several years now. The app has come in handy on many occasions. This is one of the apps that is also a requirement in most nursing programs either in a book version or an app. I prefer the app because it is always with me and any updates will be automatically updated. The book version gets outdated pretty quickly with the changing of medications and side effects. This app would be a highly recommended purchase for the students and since they usually carry their phones with them all the time it is useful and handy.

Utilizing technology within nursing education is necessary and can be a useful tool in providing education. These apps and the video are a few examples of incorporating technology in the classroom. Students will be happy that they can utilize their beloved smart phones to learn about nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment